Tuesday, November 12, 2013

It's raining on this parade.


If you've read more than three posts on this blog, you've probably come across one of my motivation posts. That is, lack-of-motivation posts. I don't know what it is about me, but I find I'm exhausted all the time. What's worse, is I have no one who's telling me to go into work and no repercussions if I skip a day (yes, theoretically, but honestly? nope.). Every day is a shot in the dark as to whether it will have been worth showering and putting on make-up and wearing nylons. (Oh boy do I have a story about that...)

For example: on the 31st, we got a fax from the National Institute of Health at the D.Sh.P. about a two-week long mandatory health fair...starting the next day. The next day. On one hand, this is great: it's a former Peace Corps tradition that the national level has claimed as their own - yay sustainability! On the other hand, they scheduled it to start the next day. I can't even explain to you my incredulity. And the director called us in and made a huge speech of how amazing it has to be and OMG WHY HAVEN'T YOU GIVEN ME A PLAN ABOUT IT YET and dude, we just heard about it from you calm down.

So we have been sitting out on the corner of the park handing out pamphlets every day on different topics. I generally have no shame, and so run after people and force them to take something. I also always get the honor of handing out the family planning pamphlets, because, you know, it's just too shameful to be handling unless you're a garrulous American.

But yesterday, it was rainy and windy, so I suggested we prepare all the pamphlets for the following week instead of standing on the corner, miserable and wet and grouchy. Of course, we just ended up doing the stuff for the next day (that is, today), and then it was time to go.

"So, we're not going to prepare anything else or work on anything else with this extra day."


"Oh, tomorrow? Tomorrow's good. Why do today what you could do tomorrow?"


Yes, I'm cynical, and yes, I'm an amazingly proficient procrastinator myself. But I find that the more one has to do, the more one gets done. And there's just not enough work to do at our D.Sh.P. And things are constantly being put off: first it was the elections in June, then it was summer vacations, then the school year started, and now we're waiting for our director to change (due to political changes). So nothing's happening very fast. Unfortunately all the things I want to do and start at this point have to wait for the new director's say-so - and none of my counterparts are going to work ahead on anything in fear of angering the new guy.

So of course, being the mature and diligent PCV that I am, I skipped work today and read.*


*Ok, fine, I did work for Peace Corps, but nothing at the D.Sh.P.

No comments:

Post a Comment