Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Under the Orange Tree


There were other videos of this song...but none had quite the same spectacular train wreck of a music video.



As part of our language lessons at Language Refresher, we learned the song "Nën një portokalle," a classic Albanian folk song. The lyrics are as follows:

Nën një portokalle moj,
të ndala unë ty,
lulet e limonit moj,
të binin në sy.

Under the orange tree, girl
I stopped you,
the lemon flowers, girl,
fell in our eyes.

Ngrije kokën lart moj
se më dogji malli,
vinte gusha jote moj
aromë portokalli.

Lift up your head, girl
for which I have longed;
from your throat, girl,
comes the scent of the orange.

Rrinim ne të dy o moj
nën një portokalle,
përmbi kokat tona moj
lulet hidhnin valle.

We stay, just the two of us, girl
under the orange tree,
over our heads,
the flowers dance.

Ngrije kokën lart moj
se më dogji  malli
vinte gusha jote moj
aromë portokalli

Lift up your head, girl
for which I have longed;
from your throat, girl,

comes the scent of the orange.

My translation is certainly not the best - sue me, purists - but you get the drift. We not only sang along to it, but we circle danced to it, too. At the end of class, we joined hands and waltzed out of the classroom to lunch singing along to a shaky recording of an old folk song, singing our hearts out, shameless.

I couldn't make this stuff up.

2 comments:

  1. You made a song about lovers making out under citrus trees terrifying. It's not "throat". "Gushe" describes the front of the neck, and it's used affectionately. "Fyt" is strictly "throat". You're welcome. Also, I don't know if I've commented on your blog before, but I found it in September and I laughed so hard! I can't believe I forgot about it. You're the best thing. Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I meant "throat" as in front of the neck affectionately/poetically. Sorry I turned the love song into a slasher movie!

    Gezuar vitin i ri!

    ReplyDelete