Saturday, January 11, 2014

Bibliomania 2014, or How I Plan to Spend Too Much Time Reading Again This Year


Seeing as I read a moderately insane amount this past year, I've decided to up my game. Fifty books is weak. (Although each Game of Thrones should count for at least two books each, which would put my count at sixty, but I digress.) We're going for 75 books this year! Which is an entirely insane amount. Most of the books on the list below are titles that I am either embarrassed or ashamed (or an awkward combination of both) that I have not read. Oops.

1. A Brief History of Time - Stephen Hawking

2. The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay - Michael Chabon

3. The Brother Karamazov - Fyodor Dostoyevsky

4. Catch-22 - Joseph Heller (fun fact: it was almost called Catch-18, but it was too much like something else that had just been released. How serendipitous, then, because Catch-22 is definitely, um, catchier.)

5. The Cider House Rules - John Irving

6. The Color Purple - Alice Walker (fun fact: I once wrote a paper in high school about synesthesia called The Color Eight. Or was it The Number Purple? I can't remember. But it was clever and I was obscenely proud of it.)

7. The Count of Monte Cristo - Alexandre Dumas

8. Death Comes for the Archbishop - Willa Cather (My Antonia is one of my favorites. Except as I was reading it I found out I was pronouncing "Antonia" wrong, and now the title sounds all awkward in my brain.)

9. Everything is Illuminated - Jonathan Safran Foer (fun fact: the most I have ever cried during a book was when I read Safran Foer's other famous work, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, when I was 16 and in Destin for spring break. ANGST. And hormones.)

10. Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury

11. Flowers for Algernon - Daniel Keyes

12. Frankenstein - Mary Shelley

13. The Grapes of Wrath - John Steinbeck (Somehow I've made it through East of Eden but have managed to avoid this one for years...)

14. Heart of Darkness - Joseph Conrad

15. The House of Mirth - Edith Wharton (or I could just buckle down and finish The Age of Innocence.)

16. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings - Maya Angelou (fun fact: she's 6'3" and wears high heels to all her speaking engagements which is totally badass.)

17. In Cold Blood - Truman Capote (because Breakfast at Tiffany's is so cliché, ugh.) (sarcasm font)

18. Les Miserables - Victor Hugo (because I can recite the entire musical and so I owe the original book some love.)

19. The Mill on the Floss - George Eliot

20. On the Road - Jack Kerouac (fun fact: I DO NOT WANT TO READ THIS. Caps for emphasis. But I'd be a horrible bibliophile if I never read any Kerouac.)

21. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kesey

22. Oryx & Crake - Margaret Atwood

23. The Second Sex - Simone de Beauvoir (fun shamefully embarrassing fact: I'm a Gender & Women's Studies major and I haven't read this yet. FOR. SHAME.)

24. The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett

25. Sense and Sensibility - Jane Austen (I've already read Persuasion, P&P, Emma, and Mansfield Park. Two to go!)

26. Slaughterhouse-5 - Kurt Vonnegut

27. The Sound and the Fury - William Faulkner

28. The Stranger - Albert Camus

29. Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy

30. Their Eyes Were Watching God - Zora Neale Hurston

So that's thirty. Which means I've only got to find another 45.

No comments:

Post a Comment