Wednesday, October 15, 2014

La Bella Italia



A trip to Italy, punctuated with hoity-toity quotes from Florence's own great son, Dante Alighieri.


I can't possibly begin to explain this trip in a single blog post. This is the stuff average white girl memoirs are made of - so instead of cyber-serializing a novelized version of events, I just want to post the photos of these two stunning cities, Venice and Florence, because - you know - each picture is worth a thousand words. As awfully cliche as it sounds (as it is), this was a best friend adventure of a lifetime. 


Becky, thank you for flying across the Atlantic again and for taking time out of your insanely busy summer so we could be together and for being my best friend and seriously? I love you.





As little flowers, which the chill of night has bent and huddled, when the white sun strikes, grow straight and open fully on their stems, so did I, too, with my exhausted force.







Like the lark that soars in the air, first singing, then silent, content with the last sweetness that satiates it, such seemed to me that image, the imprint of the eternal pleasure.





O power of fantasy that steals our minds from things outside, to leave us unaware, although a thousand trumpets may blow loud—what stirs you if the senses show you nothing? 
Light stirs you, formed in Heaven, by itself, or by His will Who sends it down to us.





With the color that paints the morning and evening clouds that face the sun 
I saw then the whole heaven suffused.













Art, as far as it is able, follows nature, as a pupil imitates his master; thus your art must be, as it were, God's grandchild.







   


As one who sees in dreams and wakes to find the emotional impression of his vision 
still powerful while its parts fade from his mind — Just such am I, 
having lost nearly all the vision itself, 
while in my heart I feel the sweetness of it yet distill and fall.



1 comment:

  1. You did a BEAUTIFUL job on editing these pictures! Amazing! I think a reunion in Italy in the future should be scheduled!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete